So yesterday, after Mandy got off work, we went straight to her appointment with Dr. Gordon. She hadn't shown any progress in the previous two weeks, but this checkup was different. She had dialated to a two plus, nearly a three. While he was there, Dr. Gordon asked if he could strip her membranes. After a moment of hesitation, Mandy said yes. It was a very uncomfortable experience for her, and she started feeling crampy immediately. We scheduled a follow up appointment for Thursday and planned to induce labor on Friday if it didn't come by then.
We ran some errands that afternoon and I went to an evening class I have at UVSC. Later that evening I gave Mandy a blessing and we made sure that all of our stuff was packed for the hospital.
We were all settled into bed around 11:30pm when the contractions started. At first Mandy wasn't sure if it was a contraction, but after a few minutes it became very apparent that they were. Right from the beginning, the contractions were very evenly timed. They were 4-6 minutes apart starting with the very first one.
After an hour of evenly spaced contractions, we went to the hospital. I enjoyed the drive over. I figured if there was ever a time I could get away with running stop signs and speeding, this would be it.
We got to the hospital at 1:00 am and they brought Mandy right in. There was no question that she was having real, heavy contractions. She had dialated to a four by that time. After what seemed like an eternity of answering questions and waiting, the anesthesiologist was able to give her an epidural at 2:30 am. It finally kicked in enough to let her rest by around 3:00am. The anesthesiologist is Mandy's new best friend.
Orem Community Hospital has some very nice features. For instance, you give birth in the same room that you stay in the whole time. It's even the same bed. They also have a couch that pulls out into a bed for the hubby. So while Mandy was doped up and able to rest a while I was also able to get some sleep on the bed. I would wake up when the nurse would come to check on Mandy and would hear as she progressed to a seven and then a nine.
Finally, by 6:30am Mandy was fully dialated. At 8:00am Dr. Gordon came and broke her water. At 8:32 am it was time to start pushing. Mandy did such a great job pushing as I held one of her legs. It was amazing to see a little patch of hair start to become visible.
At 9:00 am on the dot, Emma Jane was brought into this world. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life to watch her come out. She was and is so beautiful and perfect.
Emma was immediately placed on Mandy's (now smaller) stomach and wiped clean there. She was able to stay there for a few minutes until she was transferred to another table to get a quick checkup and get weighed and measured. She weighed 7 pounds 8 ounces and was 20 inches long. After she was given a clean bill of health, it was back to mommy's chest. Mandy had to get a few stitches, but as soon as Dr. Gordon was done with that, she was able to start breast feeding.
Although the contractions were nearly unbearable, the entire experience was very smooth, and much easier than we expected. "The labor was awesome," says Mandy.
We both can't stop saying how much we love her and how perfect she is. We feel so blessed to have her come into our lives.
12 comments:
oh. my. gosh. she is gorgeous!you guy are so amazing and are great examples! I can't wait to get back into town so i can come see ya! congratufrikinlations! this is making me way excited for when I have mine!!! ah! congrats guys. we love ya lots.
she is beautiful!! Wow, Congrats we can't wait to see her in person. love ya!
Mandy you look way too good to have just had a baby!!!! congrats, she is so pretty! love, emily jane
What a beautiful little girl! With two boys, I hope my next one is a girl. I am really happy for you guys. It sounds like you had a really easy labor -- what a blessing!
-Catherine
Oh, she is beautiful!! Mommy and baby!! I am so excited for you guys, you will both be amazing parents! I couldn't be happier, and I'm glad you blogged the whole thing so I can see it too!!I hope you guys can get a wee bit of sleep today!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm just in tears over how wonderful bringing a baby into the world is! She is so beautiful!
She is beautiful! Congratulations! I hope all is well with you and that you are feeling well. She is so cute! We are so happy for you guys.
Hooray!! Congratulations! Emma is just beautiful... we're so happy for you!
And high fives to Mandy (and Derek) for getting through it all. :)
Mandy, she is absolutely gorgeous. She looks like a beautiful doll! Congratulations. I am so very happy for you guys. Can't wait to see her. Bet you are glad it's over huh? Now you get to enjoy that little cutie. Call me. I would like to come see you guys when you feel up to it. Love ya!
That last one was from me (rachel)by the way, I couldn't remember my password so I logged into marty's. :)
Mandy ... this is Mary (Stewart) Porter. How are you doing? It looks like you're doing SO well. Your little girl is perfect. She really is. I got to your blog through Jessie Eyre's blog.
And, Bryan and I are expecting a little girl in about 6 days. So, I'm so excited for you because I know how excited we are. Congratulations again!
Way to go Mandy--it sounds like everything went well for you guys! Congratulations on your sweet girl! I will be in Utah for a visit--it would be fun to see you. Enjoy your little one!
Post a Comment